Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Review: Vamplayers by Rusty Fischer

Vamplayers

Title: Vamplayers
Author: Rusty Fischer
Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Medallion Press
Release Date: December 13, 2011
ISBN-10: 1605424498
ISBN-13: 978-1605424491
Author’s Website
Source: borrowed Richie’s ARC

At the Afterlife Academy of Exceptionally Dark Arts, the vampires in training follow one of two tracks: they become either Sisters or Saviors. Of course, everyone wants to be a Savior, swooping into infested high schools in matching red leather jumpsuits and wielding crossbows, putting down swarming vampires with deadly efficiency.

But Lily Fielding is just a Sister—a Third Sister at that, a measly trainee. When Lily and her two Sisters, Alice and Cara, are called out to their latest assignment, she figures it’s just another run-of-the-mill gig: spot the Vamplayer (part vampire, part player), identify the predictably hot, trampy girl he’s set his eyes on, and befriend her before the Vamplayer can turn her to do his bidding.

Finding the sleek and sexy Vamplayer, Tristan, and his equally beautiful and popular target, Bianca, is easy. And when Lily meets the adorably geeky Zander, she too falls under a lover’s spell. But this assignment turns out to be trickier than most when the Third Sister must battle the baddest vampire of all. (Goodreads)

Review

I am seriously trying to figure out a non-spoilery  way to express my love of Vamplayers. This is a YA vampire novel and Rusty Fischer did not follow the *haven’t I read this book before, formula*. There wasn’t over the top instalove, and only one guy is super model hot…the other boys look like real people *gasp*.

Lily is the Third Sister. It is her job to go into a high school along with her higher ranking Sisters Alice and Cara to find the Vamplayer at that school before he has the chance to make a new vampire. Lily is awesome! Lily is used to being the laid back Sister on assignments, but this time she will have to take the lead. She is brave, loyal, and fiercely protective. I found this out first hand in a super mean-hearted dodge ball match in gym. Yes, you read that right. dodge ball match! You know you want to read this now!!!

“Balls are whizzing so fast, our sneakers squeaking so loudly on the gym floor, it’s like a cacophony of jungle noises in the middle of the gym.
At one point Tristan trips, their side gasp, and Cara uses the opportunity to launch an aerial assault straight at his face. (Hey, all’s fair in love and dodge ball, pretty boy.)”     

My character love does not extend to just Lily. I have a very special place in my heart Grover and Zander. I would have totally been friends with these two Star Wars loving geeks back in high school. They handled everything that’s happening at their school way better than I would have at their age. If I found out there were vampires at my school when I was a teenager, I think I would have ran away. But Grover and Zander put all those B-Movies they  watched over the years to use, after they freak out a little, and manned up.

I know I said at the beginning that Vamplayers did not follow the normal YA formula and I am sticking by that statement. But, I will say that Lily does sort of have two love interest. one being Zander, who I love. Swoon, any regular boy that will stay around to fight evil without any super powers of his own pushes him way up the scale in my book. Then there is Tristan. I have a love-hate relationship with Tristan, meaning I love to hate him. And at the end of the book when I found out how he made his money…well lets just say he didn’t gain any points. So for me this was not a love triangle because I was only rooting for one guy.

If you can’t tell from all of the above I think that Rusty Fischer created a sweet slice of epic in Vamplayers. I want to say more about the Sisters but every time I try I get even more spoilery. Vamplayers has humor, action, and a villain you can hate enough to want dead.  You just need to go get this and be ready to have fun with it!

Happy Reading,
 Signature

Loved it! I want to know about everything this author writes.

Recommended For
Teen and up: For violence, death scene, and  kissing

7 comments:

  1. Your review is so much better than mine :( Glad you enjoyed this as much as I did!!!

    #RustyFischerIsAwesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! I've heard such good things about Zombies Don't Cry too, and since I love zombies I can't believe I still haven't read it. So glad you loved this one, yay. Thanks for the review.

    ***

    Australian YA author Rebecca shares her favorite romantic book scene at The Midnight Garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do I not know about this one?? Anything that's not in the normal YA vampire formula is fine by me. Will put this one on the TBR for sure. Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I will love Zander too. Go the boys without super powers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh! How have I not heard of this one?! Now I'm going to have to check it out. ;)

    BTW, One of those lovely little tag things is going around again so I tagged you. Sorry. I did try to come up with some fun questions for you. Check out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!

    So... not your usual vampire story, but there's love and nice characters and humor? And you liked it this much? Well, then, I must definitely check this out!

    Thanks for the great review, Rebecca! And don't worry, you weren't spoilerish -just piquing my curiosity!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!