Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Early Review: The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

The Way We Fall

Description

It starts with an itch you just can't shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you'll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in.


And then you're dead.
 
When a deadly virus begins to sweep through sixteen-year-old Kaelyn’s community, the government quarantines her island—no one can leave, and no one can come back.
 
Those still healthy must fight for dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest.
 
Because how will she go on if there isn't?
 
Megan Crewe crafts a powerful and gripping exploration of self-preservation, first love, and hope. Poignant and dizzying, this heart-wrenching story of one girl’s bravery and unbeatable spirit will leave readers fervently awaiting the next book in this standout new series. (Goodreads)
 

Book Details


Title: The Way We Fall
Author: Megan Crewe
Genre: Dystopian
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Release Date: January 24, 2012
ISBN-10: 1423146166
ISBN-13: 978-1423146162
Source: NetGalley/ Publisher

Review

The Way We Fall is is a slow start but it picks up about a hundred pages in. Crewe has written differently than any other book I have read. The main character and narrator of the story Kaelyn writes, not letters really, but journal entries to her old best friend Leo. I liked this style of writing for The Way We Fall because I feel like I got to know Kaelyn’s character so much better from this narative.

Kaelyn is sixteen and has decided to put her old shy ways behind her and start trying to talk to people more and try to make friends. Of course right when she makes this decision A horrible virus starts to rip through the the Island she lives on. I loved watching Kaelyn’s growth throughout The Way We Fall. Kaelyn seemed a bit selfish at the beginning and by the end I knew she would do anything for those she cared about, or even a sick stranger walking on the street.

With the exception of short few other characters in The Way We Fall fell flat for me. As people in the town were dying at a rapid rate I found myself having no real emotion over it. There were characters that were important to Kaelyn and when they died or left I sort of felt cheated because I knew I should care more and I just didn’t. I can’t decide if it’s because there were other things going on during their departures or if their characters were just never grounded enough for me.

Gav was the big silver lining in The Way We Fall for me. Gav’s character was brought in at just the right time. Gav went to school with Kaelyn, he didn’t have the best reputation at the time, but all of that is in the past now. He brought emotion in, and made Kaelyn talk out loud about what was going on and show emotion. I enjoyed watching Gav and Kaelyn try to figure  out a relationship in their new world together.

I enjoyed The Way We Fall and will be on the lookout for the next in this series. From what I understand there will be two other books written.

Happy Reading,
 Signature

It's good. I had fun for the most part.

Recommended For
Teen and up: There is some violence, lots of death, language, and light kissing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Interesting title, I'd seen it around but the cover didn't really grab my attention. It looks like a good read, but I don't think I can add it to my TBR pile - it's way too big as it is!

    I think the thing that keeps me off with this one is the fact that you can't care enough for the situation to be sorry when it goes out of control and people close to the main character die. I feel like we should be able to feel it, if only for her... So, yes, I understand why you'd feel cheated.

    Thanks for sharing the review! I'll hold out and wait for your thoughts on the next books before taking a plunge with this one.

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noeees! I had really high hopes for this one. Gah! I'll probably still read it but it's good to get some feedback first. Thanks for the review! Shame that it fell flat for you.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!